If you’ve been following us for the last little while, you may have noticed a disturbing pattern of the police playing an increasingly-active role in trying to do harm to anti-fascists. Some highlights from the past two years:
- That time when police in Sacramento were mysteriously absent when a gang of armed neo-nazis stabbed nine anti-fascists, and then dropped a pistol as they ran off under the full protection of the police, who miraculously re-appeared just in time to facilitate their escape and arrest the stabbing victims.
- That time in Harrisburg when the police, frustrated that antifa counterprotesting a white supremacist event weren’t doing anything illegal, started shoving people and knocking them to the ground until one fell backwards into a police horse, which magically became an “assault police officer” charge.
- That time when Russian police collaborated with neo-nazis to threaten the life of an anti-fascist as he recovered in hospital from a vicious attack, forcing him to flee the country and seek asylum elsewhere.
- That time an NYPD kkkop broke the leg of an antifa protestor.
- That time Seattle po-po allowed armed packs of Islamophobic thugs to rush a peaceful counter-protest and assault people repeatedly, but then moved in to arrest counter-protestors when they had the nerve to try to defend themselves against these assaults.
- That time when police came in on the side of a bigoted lynch mob and arrested the residents of a multiracial housing block in Melbourne for defending their homes and neighbours against the racist goons.
- That time when California cops got caught actively colluding with neo-nazis to frame up anti-fascists on bullshit charges.
- That time the Berkeley Police Department endangered twenty anti-fascists and their families by doxxing them after seriously injuring them and arresting them.
Which brings us to the events in Portland of August 4th. Not to be confused with events there the month prior, where the police formed a line to protect alt-right bigots from anti-fascist counter-protestors but then fired flash bang grenades & pepper spray at the counter-protests to soften them up prior to letting waves of white supremacist goons run through their lines to attack counter-protestors , then run back to enjoy full police protection.
This time, the police were the instigators of violence, commencing with a volley of flash bangs and tear gas launched without reason or provocation. In that first volley was a flash bang grenade fired directly at the back of an anti-fascist’s head from close range. The grenade penetrated the antifa’s helmet and caused a serious head injury. Had he not been wearing a helmet, he would have been killed instantly. In the end, the police arrested four anti-fascists and injured at least that many. Rose City Antifa have established a crowdfunder to help victims of the police violence on August 4th and we were happy to be able to contribute to it. We would encourage you to do the same, and to also make a donation to the Defence Fund so we can continue to support people willing to risk death at the hands of fascist goons and their police collaborators.