This spring was actually a little quiet for The International Anti-Fascist Defence Fund. We only dealt with six requests for support over the past three months. This is a slower pace than we’re used to but we were very thankful for the lull as it allowed us to catch our breath and try to build the Defence Fund back up to a respectable level that would allow us to make a real difference when people needed help. In any event, that brief slow period looks like it’s over; as of this writing, we’re dealing with four new requests simultaneously. It could be a hot, hot summer, y’all!
OK, a recap of what happened over the previous three months
- In April we had two requests to deal with – one from the U.S., which we turned down for being a bit beyond our mandate; and one from Bristol Antifascists, which we accepted as it perfectly fit our mandate.
- That month we also helped out antifascist JM Carico, who beat bogus charges back in 2017 only to face newer, bogus-er charges b/c the police just can’t seem to move on with their lives.
- There’s nothing like Paris in springtime, so we were delighted to help out several Parisian antifascistes in May who were charged for activities related to keeping fascist gangs off the streets.
- Meanwhile in Eugene, OR. we helped to defend an anti-fascist arrested after a confrontation with a motley assortment of white supremacists & racists masquerading as “patriots.”
- Finally, there was a top-secret request for support where we were unable to reveal many details of the request due to safety & security concerns but were able to verify what we were told thanks to two solid & reputable antifa crews in the area.
Look, can we be straight with you? This is hard fucking work we’re doing to support anti-fascists in trouble no matter where they happen to be in the world. We need contributions from all anti-fascists to make this work. We are counting on your to step up and give whatever you can. This month only, we’ll offer you a little incentive, even: everyone that signs up in June to make monthly contributions to the International Anti-Fascist Defence Fund will be entered in a draw to win an author-signed copy of one of these books:
Already signed up for monthly contributions to the Defence Fund? If you increase your contribution amount by at least $5USD/month in June, we’ll enter you in the draw as well!