We have been quite busy over the last three months here at The International Anti-Fascist Defence Fund. Here’s what we got up to:
- We helped with the costs associated with the arrest of a Bristol anti-fascist defending their city from an Islamophobic hate rally;
- We contributed to the legal defence of two Parisian antifa accused of a revenge attack against one of Clément Meric’s murderers;
- We made sure that an anti-fascist in NYC could pay their rent and had food on their table as they recovered from injuries inflicted on them after being brutalized by the NYPD at a demo against a white supremacist meeting;
- We helped with a hospital bill a Colorado antifa was left with after being assaulted by fascist TWP swine;
- We helped defend four Seattle antifascists arrested after confronting America’s largest Islamophobic hate group.
- We helped out with the lawyer’s bill for a Toronto antifa who was arrested for the crime of standing in front of an Islamophobic march under Canada’s draconian new “masked with intent” laws.
We also received good news from our friends in Austin who were arrested two years ago for defending their campus against fascist interlopers – after a two-year legal battle, all their charges were dropped! They wrote us to say “we want to especially thank those who donated to their legal funds. Without such generous donations, we would not have been able to afford their legal team. We can’t say enough how much countrywide and international solidarity means for the comrades here in Austin who face decades of prison time between them all. We will continue to fight, we will continue to win, and we will never apologize for our politics, nor will we dial them back in fear of repression.”
Over in Sweden, Joel also wrote to thank us for supporting him, saying “many thanks to everyone who contributed to the free Joel campaign, everyone who wrote letters and sent in stuff. Thank you to all the groups who supported and spread the word, above all thanks to AFA Stockholm and an even bigger thank you to fånggruppen Stockholm…don’t forget that it’s never possible to live on old merit, class is ongoing. Organize yourself!”
There was one request that the Defence Fund’s Decisions Crew – the body of nearly 600 anti-fascists who discuss and make decisions regarding the Defence Fund – turned down. Yogyakarta, Indonesia’s Libera Community Space wrote us to request support to help expand their community centre. While we agreed that this was a fantastic project, we felt that it fell outside of the mandate of the Defence Fund and turned down their request because of that.
Over the past three months, ten anti-fascists in four countries received help and support when they most needed it from The International Anti-Fascist Defence Fund. Four other anti-fascists wrote to thank us for the help we provided them in the past – for three of them, help that meant they were able to beat unjust criminal charges! None of this would have happened without the generous donations of our supporters. We do vitally-important work that deserves your support.
We strongly encourage everyone to make a contribution to the Defence Fund. Sign up to make a recurring monthly donation of any amount via our paypal or Patreon accounts or make a one-time donation via our paypal or fundrazr. Hold a fundraiser for us! Print out our downloadable flyer and spread the word! Re-blog our posts! Anything you can do to help us help anti-fascists helps.